Saturday, April 14, 2012

Another fun one!


As you can probably tell I am a huge fan of DIY and whenever I have the opportunity to create something fun, I do.  Sometimes these projects cost less then buying them at the store but I admit that sometimes they cost more.  If I chose a project that is a little more costly it is usually because I love the fact that I can make it exactly to my liking, which is always best. Most days of the week (between cooking, cleaning, kids, and painting orders) I set aside some time to do these projects and today was no exception. 
Supplies

I was at Target a few weeks ago and I was looking for some magnetic boards to hang above my desk.  I saw a few but nothing that I really loved.  If I was going to pay $8-$10 a piece for some boards I wanted something that would look great.  I did not make a purchase that day and instead came home to check out my favorite websites and get some ideas.  Luckily I found a great one and the next time I ventured out I knew exactly what supplies I would need.

I first sought out some fabrics at the local fabric store and found lovely patterns.   I bought a yard of each (price depends on what you choose) but I could have easily bought ½ a yard and had plenty. You will want a thin fabric so that the magnets have no problem sticking.  I then purchased 3 cookie sheets from the dollar store ($1 of course), white poster board ($3-$4 for a 3 pack), ribbon ($1-$4 for a spool), and some magnets ($3 a pack).  You will also need a hot glue gun, glue sticks, and a drill, which I already had on hand.
Poster board to give the back a more finished look

First, I cut out the fabric 2 inches longer and wider than the cookie sheet and ironed it to remove all of the wrinkles.  I placed my fabric design side down and put the cookie sheet on top of it.  I wrapped the fabric around the cookie sheet and hot glued the edges of it down.  (Be sure you are gluing to the topside of the cookie sheet so when it is on the wall the bottom side is your magnetic surface). After I finished gluing the fabric I cut out a piece of poster board that was the size of the inner part of the cookie sheet and glued it down on the edges of the exposed fabric to give the back a finished look.  Lastly, I drilled 2 holes in the edge of the sheet (be careful not to catch the fabric in the drill) and pulled ribbon through to hang them.
Finished product and I love them!

The result, perfectly adorable magnetic wallboards that were completely customized to fit my style!










As always you can check out my store www.sweetpeasbutterbeans.etsy.com

Until next time, cheers!  Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Those turned out MUCH cuter than the version in my mind when you were describing them. Ha ha. I love the lemon print. Hey wait, I have lemon print in my office too.

    ReplyDelete